Generic name: Diazepam
Brand name: Valium
Drug Classes: Benzodiazepine
Valium is a benzodiazepine, benzodiazepine anticonvulsant, and prescription drug used to treat anxiety, alcohol withdrawal, and seizures. Diazepam has a sedative effect that’s why sometimes it is used with other medications to treat muscle spasms and stiffness or seizures. Valium works on calming the brain and nerves. It can be given to you for other reasons. Talk with your doctor.
Valium is available in the following dosage forms:
• 2mg (milligrams)
The standard dosage for adults is 2mg to 10mg.
The usual starting dosage for a child is 1mg to 2.5mg.
Your doctor may increase or decrease your dosage as needed based on how you respond.
How to take Valium?
Use exactly as directed by your doctor or follow your pharmacist’s medication guidelines. If you have questions about Valium, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. If you have any queries about valium, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Take Valium by mouth, it can be taken with or without food.
Who can take Valium?
This medication is not for infants younger than 6 months of age. Children up to 6 months of age and adults can use Valium but never give valium to your child without a doctor’s advice.
Children up to 6 months – use is not recommended.
What should I do if I forget to use a dose?
Don’t take two doses at the same time. If you missed the dose take valium as soon as you can but if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose.
Side effects of valium
If you have signs of an allergic reaction to valiums such as swelling on your face, lips, tongue or throat, hives, or difficulty in breathing, get immediate emergency help.
Common valium side effects include:
• Tired feeling
• Muscle weakness
• Blurred vision
• Problems with muscle movement or balance.
Tell your doctor if you have:
• Trouble breathing
• Severe drowsiness or dizziness
• Confusion, paranoia or
• New or worsening seizures
Before taking Valium:
Do not take valium and tell your doctor if you have:
• Severe breathing problem
• Muscle weakness disorder
• Sleep apnea
• Narrow-angle glaucoma
• Severe liver disease
• Uncontrollable or untreated open-angle glaucoma
Before taking valium tell your doctor if you ever had:
• Breathing problem
• Drug or alcohol addiction
• Kidney or liver disease
• Depression, mood disorder and suicidal thoughts or behaviour.
• Do not drink alcohol. It can have dangerous side effects or death could occur.
• Never share valium with any other person. It can be dangerous.
• Never stop suddenly using valium, even if you feel fine. Talk to your doctor and note the instructions.
• After stopping using valium, get medical help right away if you have such symptoms: being more active or talkative, unusual muscle movements, sudden and severe changes in mood or behaviour, hallucination, confusion, seizures, suicidal thoughts or action.
• Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit products. It can interact with diazepam and lead to unwanted side effects.
• Avoid driving or risky activities until you know how this medicine will affect you. You may cause accidents, falls or severe injuries due to drowsiness or dizziness.
• Naver takes this medication in large amounts, or for longer than prescribed, do not take it more often and do not take more of it. Take in only as prescribed by your doctor or pharmacist.
• Misuse of valium can cause overdose, addiction, or death.
How fast does valium work for anxiety?
Valium works very quickly for anxiety. If you are taking a valium anxiety pill orally it will generally take 15 to 60 minutes to kick in. Most people feel the effects within an hour but for some valium can work within 30 minutes. If the valium anxiety injection is taken, it takes approximately one to five minutes and it will kick much faster. You should take it within an hour of bedtime unless the doctor gives you instructions.
How quickly Valium works for anxiety depends on the person, the dose, and the type of Valium used. It can take one to two weeks to feel the full effects of the medication.
Leave a Reply